The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

Sunday 15 February 2015

Women in Horror: CHRISTINE SUTTON

I first 'met' Christine Sutton a few years ago when I read 'THE WALKER 'and 'THE KAYLA BURKHEART' stories and we both wrote one called "RED". I loved the concept for SUTTON's 'RED'. It was way more subtle than mine, even though we both were writing on the same subject matter. I love the SUTTON's mind works and 'PRODIGAL SON' is still one of my favourite pieces. 

We both have stories in DEAD HARVEST and I hope we will have more stories together in different features. 



1. When did you start writing horror?

I started pretty early…maybe 6. I was always the kid that was writing stories about monsters or killer bats or things like that

2.   Have you written in any other genre?

I have written a bit in the paranormal genre, but everything that I write seems to naturally slant towards horror whether I mean it to or not. 

3.  What makes you uncomfortable?

In real life: Blind hatred makes me uncomfortable. I cannot stomach nor understand how anyone can hate an entire group of people with no cause. I need to hate people one on one, I guess.
In writing/reading: Extreme gore with no purpose. If there is a real reason to detail something horrific, then do it. But, if you are talking about innards and horrible atrocities just for shock value, leave it out.  

4.  Does your family read your work?

Yes they do. My mother reads everything and gives me honest feedback. I force my husband to listen to me read my work aloud. It helps me catch errors and issues while editing. 

5.  Does your writing make you uneasy?

It has at times. I am fairly steely when it comes to horror, but there have been a few times where I said, "Woah, that might be too much." Then I leave it in. 

6.  Who would you say you write like?

I like to think I write like me. 'This is my book. There are many like it, but this one is mine.'

7.  Who are your favourite authors?

I love Stephen King, Dean Koontz (older work), Poe, Harris, Carpenter, Martin, a lot of other non-household names as well, Collins, McKinney, Johnesee, Noordeloos, and a ton of others. 

8.  Who influences you as a writer?

King has always been a great influence, as well as Shirley Jackson and Alice Walker and Maya Angelou. 


9. Do you remember what your first horror book was that you read?

Bunnicula! Followed by Howliday Inn. Before I started school, I read those books and loved them. My first 'adult' horror book was Carrie by Stephen King. 

10.  How old were you?

Kids horror started around 5 or so. I read Carrie when I was 8. My teacher "caught" me reading it and called my mom to tell her. My mom of course said, "Aren't you happy that she likes to read?" I was instructed by my teacher that I could read it, but I had to hide it from the other kids and parents because it was too scary.

11.  Is there any subject you will not touch as an author?

Not really. I can't think of anything that I would consider off limits. I have written about some heavy stuff, and I try to be honest. Not gratuitous, just honest. 

12.  What was the best advice you were given as a writer?

Listen. If one person has a critique, listen to it. If it rings true, fix it. Be open to criticism and never take it personally to the point that you doubt yourself. 

13.  If you had to start all over again, what would you do different?

I would start writing professionally sooner. I would devote more of my youth to it and make it my #1 priority. It has always been my dream, but I treated it as just that, a dream. All the while I should have been treating it as my reality.

14.  How many books do you read a year?

At least ten to twenty. I try for more like fifty, but life allows me time for ten or twenty.

15.  Do you write every day?

I try to, but if I am not feeling it, I don't. I don't want to force myself to be creative because the product is never as good. If I let it flow, I will make up for the lost time eventually.


Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Christine-Sutton/e/B005NNAKAE/

Twitter: @csuttonauthor

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChristineSuttonAuthor

Web: http://christinesutton.webs.com

2 comments:

  1. I also got in "trouble" for reading above my grade. The book I was reading at about 8-9ish was Pearl S. Buck's The Living Reed. :)

    ReplyDelete