The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

Monday 2 February 2015

Women in Horror Month JAIME JOHNESEE

My second selection for Women in Horror is Jaime Johnesee. I first read Jaime's work a year or two ago and was quite impressed with the way she wrote, her plot development and her characters. 

I think I may have a 'type' of horror writer that I admire:

  • they write clean, and by that I mean they write like themselves; no pretension, no ambiguity, no trying to be literature
  • they tell a story, an honest-to-goodness story teller. You have no idea how rare that is in any genre
  • they entertain me
  • they leave me wanting more.
Jaime fits that bill and more. I have read a few of her pieces and that girl knows how to get her characters on. 


1. When did you start writing horror?
JJ: I've always had an attraction to the dark side --probably the cookies-- and have written about it since I was a kid. 


2. Have you written in any other genre?
JJ: I have. I write what story comes to me so it might be sci-fi one day and comedy the next. 

3. What makes you uncomfortable? 
JJ: People hurting children, in any fashion. This world is full of sick depraved assholes and no child should ever have to know that through experience. 

4. Does your family read your work?
JJ: Some of them do. 

5. Does your writing make you uneasy?
JJ: Occasionally. I think if it didn't I probably wouldn't be doing it right. 

6. Who would you say you write like?
JJ: I write like me. *Shrugs* 

7. Who are your favourite authors?
JJ: My favorite Indie authors are Leigh M. Lane, Suzi M (aka James Glass), Christine Sutton, Mark Tufo, Armand Rosamilia, Shawn Chesser, Jeff Strand, Chantal Noordeloos, and Allison M. Dickson. There are many others but these folks were the first to come to mind. ^_^ 

8. Who influences you as a writer?
JJ: The people closest to me are my biggest influence.

9. Do you remember what your first horror book was that you read?
JJ: Watchers by Dean Koontz. I fell in love with horror right then and there. 

10. How old were you?
JJ: Eight. 

11. Is there any subject you will not touch as an author?
JJ: I never say never. I use my writing to work out my feelings so anything is fair game. 

12. What was the best advice you were given as a writer?
JJ: Get a good editor and cover artist and surround yourself with good people who will be honest and help you. 

13. If you had to start all over again, what would you do different?
JJ: I'd have started earlier. 

14. How many books do you read a year?
JJ: Unfortunately, not as many as I did before I started writing. I'd say between forty-eight and fifty. 

15. Do you write every day?
JJ: I wish I could say yes, but until my youngest starts kindergarten I write when and where I can. Once he is in school I have a plan in place to write full time. *Cue Snoopy Dance*

Links:
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Jaime-Johnesee/e/B007P5CLDW/
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/jaimejohnesee
Linked In:
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jaime-johnesee/8/334/1b7
Blog:
http://jaimejohnesee.blogspot.com/















































No comments:

Post a Comment