The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

The Dogs of Depression: A Guide for Happy People

Sunday 8 February 2015

Women in Horror Month STACEY TURNER

I read a few books Stacey Turner produced and they were incredible! Satan's Toybox: Terrifying Teddies, and Southern Hauntings Saga were two of my favourites. Both of these books ended up on my Solstice List of the Best Horror Not to be Missed. 

It was a year or so later I "met" Stacey in Facebook and we became friends. Turns out we have quite a lot in common. 

Social Media is great. I get to hang out with the cool, creepy kids who like to play in the same dark alleys as I do. 

  1. When did you start writing horror?
I don’t remember ever not writing horror. All the stories I made up as a child were about haunted houses and monsters. I did write a lot of poetry in high school. The really horrible teenage love kind. *shudders*

  1. Have you written in any other genre?
Only poetry in other genres.

  1. What makes you uncomfortable?
Jeans. I really hate wearing jeans. Oh. Not what you meant? Okay then: snakes, spiders, creepy dolls, gnomes, and movies about possession. Although I watch a ton of the latter.

  1. Does your family read your work?
My father and sister are my biggest fans. My mother reads my work sometimes. My youngest son listens to my out loud readings and catches my mistakes. My daughter reads as I’m working for typos and grammar errors. My husband has only ever read one of my stories. He’s not a big reader.

  1. Does your writing make you uneasy?
Occasionally. I have a habit of writing in the late afternoon and not noticing the sun went down, so when I emerge from my office the entire house is in darkness. I’ve been spooked on occasion, depending on what I’m working on.

  1. Who would you say you write like?
I wouldn’t really compare myself to anyone. That seems pretentious. I had a friend once tell me that one of my stories was very “Bentley Little.” Another person said of the same story that it was very early “Stephen King.” I’ll take both of those as the highest compliments, but I don’t really see it.

  1. Who are your favourite authors?
It changes from time to time and there are too many to choose from, but Stephen King, John Saul, Bentley Little, and Shirley Jackson always make the list. I also love Jane Austen and Elizabeth Berg for non-horror.

  1. Who influences you as a writer?
I think every book I read or movie I see influences me. And I read close to a book a week and watch a lot of movies, so I don’t think I could pick any one person.

  1. Do you remember what your first horror book was that you read?
The first one I remember reading was Suffer the Children by John Saul. I think I was in eighth grade. But I’d been reading Poe since I was ten and Grimm’s Fairy Tales. I think the original Grimm’s tales were very much horror.

  1. How old were you?
I sort of answered that in the last question. But my love of all things horror probably started with the show “Night Gallery” when I was about four. My parents were big horror fans as well, and started me young.

  1. Is there any subject you will not touch as an author?
I honestly can’t think of one. Obviously there are many things which sicken and horrify me, but if they were crucial to the storyline, I’d dive in. I doubt it would be graphic, I’m not a very graphic writer. I prefer subtle, creeping dread.

  1. What was the best advice you were given as a writer?
Butt in Chair. I think that’s crucial for any artist. If you aren’t sitting there, working on your craft, then you’re not going to get anywhere. It’s also the hardest piece of advice for me to take. I have a bad habit of letting my life get in the way of my writing.

  1. If you had to start all over again, what would you do different?
I’d start younger. I’d believe in myself more and persevere past those first few rejections instead of letting it go years before I tried submitting again.

  1. How many books do you read a year?
As many as possible. When we’re open for subs, I read fewer published books, but I aim between the two for a book a week.

  1. Do you write every day?
Emails, grocery lists, notes? Yes. Fiction? No. Ironic considering my answer to number 12. But I’ve resolved to change that this year and so far it’s going well. I’m getting there.

Please provide Amazon, Twitter, Linked In, Facebook, Blog Links





Blog: http://staceyturner-authorspot.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment